Sunday 31 July 2016

Galaxy Building Star Control 2

That red monster in the back is a nice conqueror 
The worldbuilding taking place in Star Control 2 is a monumental achievement for a game of its era. The introduction lays the ground work for the game and sets the player up as the saviour of the galaxy. This isn't a game about worldbuilding its a game about galaxy building as the share size of the galaxy is enormous. The start of the game and how to goes about explaining the origin reminded me of games such as the halo and mass effect series. Even going as far as to have a race who's technology was far greater than anyone else's after them. Upon playing the game I found that the dire situation to which the player is placed in does a fine job of giving the player motivation to continue playing it also establishes the world that the player is going into. The many worlds that inhabit the solar system in the game are similar in the way that the player interacts with them however it does enough to make the player feel like each planet is different and unique. Along with these unique planets are the alien races that inhabit them, so far I've only managed to contact maybe half the alien races that I believe to be included in the game. An interaction with each alien race is distinctive and does not feel formulaic, 

The casualties of war
I found the alien race Zoq Fot Pik humurous with their multi-cultural society. The games months carry on and if you miss certain information you miss chances to be able to either save another race or recruit another race into your cause. I found this out the hard way as I did not heed the call for help from Zoq Fot Pik and their entire race were wiped out by the enemy. I felt sad about what happened but also thought that it was a brilliant piece of worldbuilding taking place, a world that does not wait for the player much similar to how real world time operates. It's this familiarity with the concept of time that makes this world much more believable. In this instance I also felt that the best worldbuilders build worlds that people want to actively participate in. When you take a look at books or other video games with well built worlds people dedicate hours and years to thoroughly explore these worlds over and over again, think Skyrim, Lord of the rings or even Destiny. This was more evident to me when I found myself still playing Star Control 2 well into the 18 hour mark, and the more time I invested in this world the more I wanted to see my quest to save the galaxy through to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment